2014 Opportunities and Vacancies
Law students and Lawyers
LWOB offers unpaid internships to law and undergraduate students during the following periods:
January Term (1 month, full time)
Gap Term or Gap Year (flexible)
Applications are currently being accepted for US-based internships for Fall 2014 for New Haven CT. Summer Internships applications are now closed.
There is a special immediate need for volunteers with experience with the program: InDesign.
Please review the "JOBS" link on the LWOB home page for compensated or other opportunities at LWOB.
Applications are generally due and will be reviewed at least 3 months before the start of the new internship term. All internships are unpaid, and our interns typically live in the region or within a 1+ hour commute of our offices. It is not unusual for internship spaces to be filled well before the start of the internship term and we therefore encourage you to apply early.
Interns are required to
- speak and write fluent English, (Spanish, Arabic, Farsi and/or French, a plus)
- have a strong academic record or diverse international experience credentials
- have a commitment to make a difference in the pro bono legal or human rights sectors
- work well in a team environment.
- work independently, take initiative and require modest supervision
- apply creative approaches to traditional subjects
- during school term, commit to a minimum two full 8 hour days per week or 16-20 hours per week.
Fall/Spring interns are expected to start their internships within one week of the start of classes and complete the internship approximately 1 week before exams or term close.
Summer interns 7/8-10 uninterrupted weeks in summer
(Please arrange your summer breaks or vacations before or after your internship, not during). Qualified students applying for summer internships and available for 10 or more weeks will be given preference.
LWOB will consider requests to work for up to 30 continuous (full time) days during January break, largely dependent upon the strength of the applicant's academic record and CV
Law Students please note, we do not guarantee that you will have opportunities to do legal research during your internship--although we will make an effort to provide at least one or more meaningful large scale legal research assignments for you.
We will support any fellowship applications or proposals you may seek in connection with field work in the above cities. However, you must first have a concrete plan and funding strategy before scheduling a first meeting with LWOB to discuss your proposal. We welcome secondees for a period of one to two years and suggest you contact us privately at email@example.com to inquire about secondments to LWOB from the private sector.
Due the large number of inquiries we receive, any communications that do not contain all of the above requested information components will not be considered or acknowledged.
We can assure you of this: An email along the following lines will not get a response:
" I'm interested in whether you have any internship opportunities in your UK office."
No internship or other volunteer application of any sort will be considered without a detailed CV/Resume (with names of references) and cover letter. Internship applications (Cover Letter and CV) should be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Post graduate fellowship or lawyer volunteer application should state that in the subject line of your email, and be addressed to email@example.com.
Applicants for all positions (Summer, Fall, Winter Term, Spring) must indicate in your cover letter
1) All: Proposed start and finish dates
2) Fall and Spring: Proposed work schedule (Days and hours)
3) Acknowledge that you realize
- that the internship is unpaid and there will be no compensation for any associated costs you incur
- that you understand that a part of your internship may require performing tasks associated with LWOB in-house administration of international rule of law programming
- [Summer Interships only]: that the commitment is for a minimum of 8-10 continuous uninterrupted weeks (Summer Applicants should plan their vacations before or after the internship)
Applications for all Summer internship positions are now closed. A limited number of places may be available for Summer 2014 in New Haven Connecticut USA in late Spring, in the possible event of candidate withdrawals.