Who We Are
Lawyers Without Borders is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) corporation whose mission is to advance global rule of law, build capacity and integrity in the world’s justice sectors and support transitions and development. Our objective is to develop programs and materials that improve access to justice guided by a mandate of neutrality and independence.
Lawyers Without Borders (LWOB) is an independent, neutral organization with no political alignments and adheres to the highest ethical standards when working on projects and operating within foreign countries. We operate worldwide with activities governed from the US-based headquarters.
We work closely with lawyers, judges, and members of the law enforcement community around the world to fulfill our mission through:
- Trial advocacy training programs for lawyers, judges, magistrates, prosecutors, public defenders and law enforcement.
- Cultivating lawyer skill sets to create effective human rights strategies in developing sectors.
- Conducting neutral observation of trials, conflict scenarios, and detention facilities.
- Developing and delivering programming that builds capacity and technical assistance in developing regions and regions emerging from conflict or contemplating transition.
- Designing educational materials for a broad range of stakeholders, including local communities, NGOs, potential victims and justice sector actors.
LWOB’s funding sources include foundation and government grants, financial and pro bono support from international law firms, corporations, and NGOS as well as private donations.